Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Phone Call

This afternoon after church I got to talk to my italian family for the first time. I was kind of nervous before hand because I had no idea what they were expecting, but it turned out fine. I got to talk to everyone but Nene, who it turns out is very shy. They all speak english very well. I talked to Matteo first, and he basically reassured me about going through customs and not having a visa, etc., told me that they have everything I need "housewise" (bedding, food, etc). He was very jovial. Then I talked with Bendetta. The first thing she said to me was, "I am very curious, because in your picture (one of our whole fam from last summer) you are all wearing blue and brown. Um, is this normal?" I had to laugh and explain to her why we were all matching, which she though was a hilariously strange thing to do in a picture. She was also concerned about the time of year that I was coming at, saying that I would be alone for a large portion of the day. Everyone will be out of the house from 8 am in the morning...the children come home from school at 4, but the parents won't return until 7pm. I think that I will probably be lonely, but I think it will be fine. Then she said, "okay, now I pass you to the tall one (tommasso)." His english was pretty good, but we didn't say much. He plays basketball so I asked him who his favorite team was (Cleveland Cavaliers) and that was about it. Then he "passed me to the short one (Eugena)" who ran away and I was told hid behind the couch. :) I am very excited to go, they seem very open and friendly.

Other random information I learned...
They will have a car for me to use (i don't know to what extent), and also a bike.
Bendetta goes out to sing Kareoke every wednesday night.
Matteo turned 41 last week and is not happy about getting old.
I will spend 3 weeks with the kids and their grandparents away from home in the summer, probably in the mountains.

They are also more than happy to talk to my parents, so I will probably be sending you their email address soon. :) I know that you must have some burning questions for them.

No comments: